The small paradise of St. Koloman lies at an elevation of 851 m above sea level, 30 km south of Salzburg City.
The village of St. Koloman has a population of 1,693 (status: May 2015).
The community was actually named after a pilgrim by the name of Koloman, the son of an Irish king who was traveling towards the Holy Land. He was suspected of being a spy and executed. He is the patron saint of the parish church. The village developed rather slowly and very late.
The locals generally refer to St. Koloman as "Taugl", a name which derives from "Tauglbach", a stream that originates on the side of the Gruberhorn and flows into the River Salzach. The Taugl area is part of the Osterhorn Group. It was first chronicled in around the year 790, in the Notitia Arnonis of Nonnberg Abbey. Within the broader community, people live at elevations ranging from 700 to 1,000 m above sea level.
The town coat-of-arms shows a silver crossbar as a symbol of the Tauglbach, the three waves representing the three cadastral communities. The sling, the pilgrim's staff and the small cross are associated with St. Koloman. On 7 June 1953, Dr. Salzmann, chief district commissioner, presented the coat-of-arms to the town council. It is depicted in the town seal, on the letterhead and on resolutions passed by the town council, as well as being worn on uniforms of local heritage groups.
More information about St. Koloman can be found on the St. Koloman website at www.stkoloman.at